Using Your Insurance to Pay for Storm Damage Repairs: What You Need to Know
When you own a home in Minnesota, dealing with the aftermath of severe weather is always a possibility. And although your house is designed to withstand less-than-optimal outdoor conditions, there's always a chance it won’t weather a storm quite as well as you hope. That’s one of the many reasons you have homeowners insurance — to help cover the cost of storm damage repairs.
If you’ve never yet filed a claim for storm damage repairs, read on to learn what you need to know to help ensure your claim goes a smoothly as possible.
What to Do Immediately After a Storm If You Suspect Damage
If you think your home may have sustained storm damage, it’s important to act quickly, but it’s more important that you remain safe while doing so. Here’s what you need to do right after inclement weather strikes:
● Put your safety first. Only when there’s no further risk of inclement weather should you head outdoors. Do not climb onto your roof to see if it sustained any damage! Leave that job to a trained storm damage repair specialist.
● Perform a brief inspection. From the ground, briefly assess your siding, roof, gutters and downspouts, windows, and doors for any signs of damage. If something catches your attention, schedule a comprehensive inspection with a storm damage repair contractor.
● Document the damage. Take photos, write down any damage you find, save news reports — do whatever you can to ensure you have proof there was indeed a storm and that storm was responsible for the damage to your home. You’ll need this proof when you file your insurance claim.
● Review your policy. Read over your homeowner's insurance policy to make sure you have the appropriate coverage to file a storm damage repair claim. Everyone’s policy is unique to their home, so understanding the details of yours will give you a leg up when filing your claim.
● Contact your insurer. Reach out to your insurance company to get your claim started. An adjuster will need to come to your property to assess the damage, but there will likely be several other homes in the area that also require adjuster visits. The earlier you contact your insurer, the more likely you’ll be to get your home at the top of the list.
Get Storm Damage Repair Quotes From Multiple Contractors
Storm damage repair contractors specialize in locating and assessing exterior home damage, so you’ll need to contact a few companies to get estimates. Ideally, you’ll want to get quotes from at least three contractors to make sure you’re getting a reasonable deal. Your insurance company will also need those estimates to help determine the amount they’ll pay out for repairs.
It’s in your best interest to schedule assessments as estimates as soon as you possibly can after inclement weather damages your home. Reputable storm damage repair contractors can book up within a single day after a severe storm strikes, so the earlier you call around, the better your chances of working with your choice of contractor.
Be Wary of Door-to-Door Storm Damage Repair “Professionals”
If you get visits from roof repair or siding repair professionals claiming that they’ll fix the damaged components of your home, be wary. Contractors that make door-to-door visits after severe weather incidents are often storm chasers, and these “professionals” typically perform low-quality work with low-quality materials — if they even perform the work at all.
Do your due diligence when researching storm damage repair companies and look for licensing, insurance, customer reviews, and a long-standing track record. Research is the key to making sure you’re working with a reputable team.
Eastern Roofing & Siding: Cottage Grove Storm Damage Repair Specialists You Can Trust
If your home ever becomes a victim of storm damage, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team at Eastern Roofing & Siding to get an inspection and estimate. For over 25 years, we’ve proudly served Cottage Grove, Woodbury, Inver Grove Heights, and we can help you file your storm damage repair claim from start to finish. To get started, give our office a call today at 651-238-1313 or request a free estimate, and we’ll be in touch!